When stepping into a new culture for a business meeting, you want to be sure you give yourself the best chance for success.
In Arabic countries such as Qatar greetings are very important, and here are some tips to get you started:
• The most common greeting is Salam alaykum - peace be upon you. The appropriate response is Wa alaykum as-salam (and upon you be peace). It is common for men to kiss on either cheek when meeting. However, contact between unmarried men is considered anathema - not favourable.
• The handshake in Qatar may be considered long by Western standards, however this is normal.
• If the handshake at the end of the meeting is longer than the handshake at the start of the meeting, the meeting can generally be considered a success.
• When doing business in Qatar, you should discuss health and other matters first, before moving on to business.
• Business decisions can be made on personal relationships above other factors, and this stresses the importance of following the correct etiquette.
Do you have any more tips for doing business in Qatar? We'd love to hear them below.
For more information about Wolfestone services:
Document translation services, Localisation services, Transcreation services, Multilingual SEO services, Proofreading, Voiceover services, Interpreting services, Multimedia services, Legal translation services, Other types of translation
The professional translation services you can trust!